Saturday, June 11, 2011

Modified Fat Fast - 1000 cal/day of guacamole, bacon, macadamia nuts

Today, I have started a Modified Fat Fast, to kickstart my metabolism, and get me back into ketosis.  I have read Atkin's New Diet Revolution, and he prescribes a fat fast for the metabolically resisistant, of 5 x 200 calorie servings of macadamia nuts per day (1 ounce, or about 1/4 cup).  There are other fat fasts which are similar.  Although they very slightly, essentially, you are eating about 1000-1200 calories per day, of which 75-90% of the calories come from fat.  Fasts can last between 3-5 days. 
 
So, I decided that I would make up my own fat fast, with foods I like and can eat for 3 days straight, and see how it works.  I picked three foods: bacon, guacamole and macadamia nuts.  I am also allowing myself 3 mini peppers per day.  (Click the links for specific brand information).  No restriction on noncaloric drinks, and I'm still taking my vitamins.
 
Here is my daily plan with nutritional breakdown:
 
  • Meal 1:  3 slices bacon  (70 cal/5g fat/0g carb/5g protein) + 4 tbsp guacamole (120cal/10g fat/2g carb/2g protein) + 1 pepper (8 cal/0g fat/1g carb/0g protein)
  • Meal 2:  1 ounce macadamia nuts (200 cal/21 g fat/2g carb/2g protein)
  • Meal 3:  3 slices bacon  (70 cal/5g fat/0g carb/5g protein) + 4 tbsp guacamole (120cal/10g fat/2g carb/2g protein) + 1 pepper (8 cal/0g fat/1g carb/0g protein)
  • Meal 4:  1 ounce macadamia nuts (200 cal/21 g fat/2g carb/2g protein)
  • Meal 5:  3 slices bacon  (70 cal/5g fat/0g carb/5g protein) + 4 tbsp guacamole (120cal/10g fat/2g carb/2g protein) + 1 pepper (8 cal/0g fat/1g carb/0g protein)
So, that works out to a daily total of 994 calories/ 87 grams of fat / 13 grams of carbohydrate / 25 grams of protein. 
About 78% of calories come from fat, figuring 9 calories in 1 gram of fat.
 
Let's see what happens.  I weighed myself this morning, and was 210.5.  I am going to do this fast all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Wish me luck :)
 
Incidentally, a guacamole covered piece of bacon, with diced peppers on top is very delicious!!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...